Saturday, March 9, 2013

It's farm time!


      Last weekend I had the unique experience of going with my family to their farm, about a half-hour drive away. I must say it doesn’t entirely match with the American concept of a farm. Two male Indians live there in this little shack full-time and run the farm, but the family only goes there every few weeks to visit. The farm consists of gardens, a decent-size field for football (soccer), date trees, cows, two bulls, and about fifteen goats. A couple months ago, in fact, the family held a bull fight there where two bulls simply attacked each other. They showed me a few videos on their phones… too bad I missed out on that!
      This was a strictly men-only gathering today though, all in all about forty of us. We arrived shortly after noon and a few guys started cooking rice and meat on a stick (like shish kebab) over a fire. We then ate a huge meal. Again, one of my highlights of the week… for obvious reasons. Then eighteen of us divided into teams and played football for a couple hours. I suppose that’s one of the neat things about having a really large family network – being able to have some good quality football teams. After that, we swam in a 10x10 ft. basin to cool off and then returned back to the house. I had a blast getting to know some people a bit better and having a grand time playing football – certainly qualifies for my fun and interesting experience of the week!


Doolie and the mom goat and the newborn (as of yesterday)


My homestay dad Suleiman and Laith

The shack. And cooking the meat.

Salmiya with some gangster signs in the pool.

Da bulls.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment