Friday, February 22, 2013

Streaming LIVE


            Every afternoon Brett, who is another Naval Academy student, and I have a 2-hour PF (peer facilitator) session at the Center with a 23-year-old aspiring journalist named Ahmed. Last Monday, Ahmed invited to drive us to visit his college, Kuliat al Bayan, and walk around there. The Arabic topic of the day would be media and journalism in Oman, and Ahmed said he’d introduce us to some of his friends. Little did Brett and I know what was going to come with this simple invitation. 
           Ahmed arrived promptly at the Center at 1230 and we headed off in his silver Lexus to his college, about a 30-minute drive away. On the way there, Ahmed lectured us on famous Arab singers like Rashid el Magid, Umm Kulthum, Ali Bahr, and Omani native Layla Nasib. He then introduced us to the world of media and journalism in the Arab world and how it all works. By the time we arrived to his college, I was thinking of how strange that car ride was. It was almost as if he was trying to get Brett and I to memorize everything right then on the spot. I brushed that thought to the side as we walked through the main college doors.
            As soon as we walked in, a girl in her mid-twenties walked towards us, looked at Ahmed, and said, “Are they ready?”
            “Ready? Ready for what?” I thought.           
            We were quickly ushered into a large room with a sound booth and a few cameras off to the side. In the middle and in the spotlights was one long couch and two sofas on either side of it. To be honest, I half expected to see Oprah Winfrey sitting there. Well, after shaking everybody’s hands, they motioned us to sit down. They’re probably just being nice, right? I had never been on a talk show before, but I never really had that desire either… let alone in a different language. After a five minute talk with them about what was going to happen next, I started to sweat. We were going to be on camera. That one day where your hair just isn’t sticking the way it should and you realize you forgot to do the reading for the lecture class that starts at 3.
            Before they started filming, I asked the obvious, “So… are we going to be on national television?”
            Everyone laughed, and the talk show host then explained that we would be on the school’s daily television program that is streamed live during lunch break, so that people eating in the cafeteria can entertain themselves. And I’m sure they did.
            3-2-1! Here we were on TV – yes, I’m basically famous. The biggest highlight of the hour was when the host asked me what my favorite Arab singers were. I then realized why Ahmed had schooled me an hour before on popular Arabic singer names. I remembered all of them, and the people in the studio went wild when I mentioned their favorite Omani singer, Layla Nasib. Towards the end of the program, they asked Brett and I to sing a song for them. We decided that I would sing the first part of “Amazing Grace,” and she would sing the last. They absolutely loved it, well at least, Brett’s portion of it. I’m thinking maybe I should just stick with my shower routine.
            The biggest boost of confidence comes when you realize that you can talk with other Omanis in Arabic under the pressure of the camera and not completely mess up. A change of pace in any routine is always necessary, and this experience certainly helped me realize how much I’ve progressed over this past month and is inspiring me to keep on trudging.
Ahmed al-Hitali
Nice park job there... but I guess he can do that - he's the president of the student body
My vantage point (you can kinda see me on the color tv screen there off to the side)

No comments:

Post a Comment