Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The Grand Intro


Recently, I decided to start a blog of my semester abroad in Oman. I’m not sure how often I’ll be posting – my goal is every week or two, in order to better keep in touch and let others know how my education here is progressing.

Some have asked me why I decided to come to Oman. I was in Oman last summer for LSAP (language study abroad program) training for almost a month and enjoyed it very much. I would have liked to explore someplace new, but I’m already familiar with the layout of Muscat, the Arabic program here is excellent, and living with an Arabic-speaking Omani family is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

I arrived by Swiss Air in Oman yesterday night. From door to door, the trip was around 24 hours. The trip was entirely uneventful… No long layovers, no delays, no lost luggage, and no beautiful Swiss girls to sit next to on the flight… kind of a downer.

It’s great to go to a different country – any country! – and observe a different culture. There are a lot of things that I, and you too, may take for granted. What do you picture when you think of a toilet? … … Most public toilets in Oman are holes in the ground. Sometimes you’re required to squat. No big deal, right? Yeah, now how about shooting a stream of H2O up your butt instead of your standard double-sided Angel Soft toilet paper? Now that’s another thing entirely.

I'm about to head out for an orientation and a tour of the city, so till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment