Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Dunebashing with Amar aka Mr. Oman


     Perhaps one of the outstanding things in Omani culture is how easy it is to become good friends. Amar is a 23 year-old receptionist at hotel Husin al Khaleej and has recently become one good close friend. The first few days of our stay at the hotel the relationship started with a simple smile, a wave, and an “Es salamu alaykum” (the traditional Arabic greeting, meaning “Peace to you!”). During the first two weeks, I would go down and shoot the breeze and practice my Arabic with Amar. One thing I learned during those times is that Amar is a professional bodybuilder and has earned a good amount of awards for that. You wouldn’t be able to tell under his dishdashah (the Omani traditional white robe that men wear), but seeing picture proof on his phone assured me that he most certainly enjoys working out during his spare time. 

      Seeing Amar almost every day and enjoying each other’s company at random times was and is still great. Last week, he told me, “I want to be your friend.” I was thrilled - this Omani guy wanted to be friends. This past Thursday, Amar called me and asked if George and I wanted to go bowling with him. Of course! After playing a good game of bowling, he then invited George and I to go off-roading in his Toyota FJ Cruiser Friday. This was undoubtedly my favorite day here in Oman so far. We drove an hour west towards some sand dunes, where we and nine other off-road vehicles dunebashed for the next six hours. Dunebashing involves first deflating all four tires and then driving up and down large sand dunes at a reasonably fast speed. The evening culminated in forty shish kabob meat sticks on the beach, talking with Amar, his friend Maged, George, and I. Although I certainly am not fluent in this foreign language, a big smile and a firm handshake are easily understood in any culture.

2 comments: