Monday, February 4, 2013

Culture Within a Culture

     Even in Oman, one can experience many different cultures. Last Wednesday night, I went down to the hotel front desk to practice my Arabic with the male receptionist, Ahmad, and one of the Filipino workers, Aaron. We were having a good conversation, when Aaron asked me about my Christian faith. After talking for a bit and then going out to dinner the next night, we discovered we held similar beliefs. Aaron then asked me if I would be interested in joining him in attending his church Friday morning. So that Friday morning, we headed out to his church in the town of Ruwi, about a half-hour taxi drive. The fifty-member congregation meets every Friday morning and Sunday night in a modest building in the middle of Ruwi, and their hospitality and friendliness was overwhelming. All of them speak Tagalo, one of the main Filipino languages, but most speak good English also. During the church greeting time, all of them were passing by me shaking my hand, smiling. 
     After a three-hour long church service, they set up a complete spread of Filipino food. During my meal, I thought that if someone wanted to learn a language based on a culture’s cuisine, I would certainly recommend Tagalo, because the food they served was terrific and I got my fill of rice, meat, and kuchinta, a dessert made out of rice that you can eat with coconut. What struck me most about this experience, however, was that several of them mentioned their uttermost gratitude to me for being an American, serving in the armed forces. One of them, named George, recounted part of his family’s history in World War II, how they were invaded and then rescued by American soldiers. According to George, these Americans had left their families and friends for their country’s salvation. And for that, he told me he “was at my service.” His words humbled me and served as a reminder of how proud I am to be a part of a military that protects the interests of those in need. It reminded me of those who had gone before me and what kind of leader I want to become. Spending time with this Filipino church family opened my eyes to a new culture, created new friendships, and reminded me of the future responsibility I will have as a leader in the US military.

Unfortunately, I didn't take my camera with me that Friday, but I thought I'd add some pictures to show you what I've been up to lately.

Sometimes you need to spend a couple bucks and get a taste of home.

This frankincense-burning UFO that I saw while I was hiking in some mountains last weekend

One of the main buildings in Sultan Qaboos University. (I had to climb into a 4-story Portuguese fort to get this photo.)

Laith, age 4. Since I've moved in with my Omani family, this little tyke likes to hang out in my room and take my things. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment